How Do I Get the Police Report for My Car Accident in TN?

If you suffered an injury in a car accident and want to file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit, a police report of the accident provides valuable information for your case. For one, the report would show which driver caused the accident. With this information, you may begin the process of seeking compensation for your losses from the at-fault driver’s insurance company.

Obtaining a police report appears simple enough, but what if your injuries prevent you from submitting a request for the police report? Or, what if you do not know which law enforcement agency handled the crash investigation?  

If you are unsure of how to get the police report for your car accident, how to file an insurance claim, or whether you should pursue a personal injury lawsuit, call the Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC, today. You can schedule a free consultation now at 865-546-1111.

Why Do I Need to Obtain a Police Report After a Car Crash?

A police report provides details of the accident, the names of drivers involved, and, possibly, information about any eyewitnesses to the accident. These details are key to an investigation. Using this information, our attorneys can establish the cause and liable party for your car crash.

In addition, the at-fault driver may give a different account of the accident to their insurance company. Without the police report to verify the facts, the auto insurer may offer you a low settlement or reject your claim. That is why it is essential you request a copy of your police report as soon as possible after a crash—before you speak to any insurance company.  

How Do I Get the Police Report for My Car Accident in TN?

You may obtain a report from the Tennessee Highway Patrol (THP), city police department, or the county sheriff’s department that handled your accident. There are several different ways you can obtain the police report from your accident.

Purchase the Police Report Online

If the THP, sheriff’s department, or a local police department investigated your accident, you can purchase the police report online within seven days of the crash from BuyCrash. The cost of an online collision report is $10.

Request a Police Report by Mail

You may contact the records division of the law enforcement agency that handled your accident and pay to have the report sent to you through the U.S. mail. If you are unsure which law enforcement agency responded to your crash, contact our attorneys today. We can help you track down the police report for your crash as part of our investigation.

Is There Anywhere Else I Can Purchase a Police Report?

Yes. If the THP investigated your accident, you may purchase a report 30 days from the date of the crash from the Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security (TDOS) for $4.00. If a police agency other than the THP investigated your accident, you may purchase the report from TDOS 60 days after the crash for $4.00.

Do I Need to File a Report After a Car Crash?

It is essential that you report your crash as soon as possible after the accident. If the accident resulted in injury, death, or property damage of $50 or more, Tennessee law requires vehicle owners and drivers to immediately report their crash to the local police, sheriff, or highway patrol. If the damage was $400 or more, you must submit a State of Tennessee Owner / Driver Report to TDOS within 20 days of the accident.

Regardless of who caused the accident, you must report your crash to the authorities. If you do not file a report, you may face suspension of your driver’s license and vehicle registration. It is essential you report your wreck as quickly as possible.

When Should I File an Insurance Claim?

If you suffered an injury in an accident and want to get reimbursed for your damages, you must file an insurance claim. Our attorneys can help you pursue compensation from the at-fault driver’s policy, but we must act quickly.

Tennessee’s statute of limitations gives you only one year after your accident to file personal injury lawsuit. Even if a lawsuit is unnecessary in your case, it is essential we preserve your right to take your case to court. Often, the threat of a lawsuit offers extra motivation to insurers to agree to a fair settlement for your losses.  

Let the Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC, Help You Obtain a Police Report.

If you need assistance after a car crash, the attorneys with the Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC, can help. When we take on your case, we will track down the police report of your wreck. We will investigate every detail included in the report, verify the cause of your crash, and follow up with eyewitnesses of your accident. Using this and other evidence, we will pursue the responsible party for the full value of your damages.

Call us today at 865-546-1111 to schedule a free case evaluation with one of our attorneys.