Renting an RV and carbon monoxide poisoning |

The problem with carbon monoxide is that it is odorless and invisible. For this reason, by the time you know what’s going on, you could be in a bad state.

Since carbon monoxide is the leading cause of poisoning deaths every year, you need to know what you can do to prevent this from sneaking into your life.

If you rent an RV for a summer vacation, it’s important to understand that carbon monoxide could come into play at some point. While most vehicles have a carbon monoxide monitor onboard, there is always the chance that this safety feature could malfunction.

Tip: make sure you ask the renting company to test the carbon monoxide detector before you get behind the wheel. Furthermore, you can do so throughout your trip.

When you are awake, some of the most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include: nausea, vomiting, dizziness, headache, and inability to think clearly.

Unfortunately, if carbon monoxide leaks into the cabin when a person is sleeping, it can lead to his or her death.

Here are some tips to follow:

— Do not operate an RV if the exhaust system is damaged.

— Inspect your generator exhaust regularly.

— Park your RV so that exhaust can easily make its way away from the vehicle.

When you rent an RV, you expect that it is in good working order. If for any reason you are injured by the vehicle, such as through carbon monoxide poisoning, you need to receive medical treatment. From there, you can learn more about your legal rights.

Source: Roadtreking.com, “The RVers biggest danger: carbon monoxide poisoning,” accessed July 05, 2016