What damages can be awarded in lawsuits after car crashes?

Every time cars crash into each other, pedestrians or bicyclists, there is a very real potential for people to get seriously hurt. If this happens, victims need to first focus on getting medical help right away and recovering.

After some time, however, it is only natural to be concerned about the financial ramifications of the accident. In many cases, car accident victims are able to pursue compensation through legal action against the party responsible for the crash. If you are at the point where you are considering this, you should understand the two types of damages that may be available should you file a personal injury claim.

Economic damages are actual expenses stemming from an injury. This can include lost wages for a person who is unable to work after a crash, the cost of an ambulance ride, medical expenses and any adjustments that need to be made to your home to accommodate your post-accident condition.

Non-economic damages cannot be added up so easily, as you typically don’t get a bill for them. These damages include emotional distress, pain and suffering, loss of consortium or the anguish of being permanently disfigured or scarred.

The courts will take all these damages into consideration and calculate the award. This number can be — and often is — adjusted in Tennessee, as we observe modified comparative negligence laws. This means that if it is determined that you were up to 50 percent to blame for the accident, the amount you receive from that award will be reduced in relation to the percentage of your fault.

Money awarded in these cases cannot undo an accident or make injuries go away, but it can help victims and their families get back to where they were financially before the accident occurred. This can ease the stress of recovery considerably and allow people to get the help they need without the complications of making some difficult financial decisions.

If you or a loved one has been in an accident, it can be crucial to discuss your legal options to pursue compensation with an attorney.