If you or a loved one has suffered a serious car accident injury, you may be dealing with mounting medical bills, loss of earnings, and emotional distress. The days, weeks, and even months following a car wreck can be stressful even when the at-fault driver had adequate insurance coverage in place. This difficult situation worsens, however, when an accident victim learns that the responsible party is not properly insured.

What if the at-fault driver has inadequate insurance coverage? What if the driver or vehicle owner has no insurance at all? How will you pay your bills?

If the driver who caused your accident does not have insurance sufficient to compensate you for your injuries, you will need an experienced uninsured motorist accident lawyer in Chattanooga. The attorneys at OEB Law, PLLC, have spent years helping victims of accidents with uninsured and underinsured motorists. We may be able to help you recover compensation for your injuries.

To schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys, call 865-546-1111 immediately.

What Is an Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist?

An uninsured motorist is someone driving without insurance. An underinsured motorist is someone who has some insurance, but not enough to cover the damages in the event of a serious or fatal accident. You may see these terms abbreviated “UM” for uninsured motorist and “UIM” for underinsured motorist. Some professionals collectively call these situations “UM/UIM.”   

In Tennessee, state law requires all drivers to carry liability insurance in the following amounts:

$25,000 in coverage for each injury or death per crash;

$50,000 to cover total injuries or deaths per accident; and

$15,000 for property damage per car accident.

Tennessee’s James Lee Atwood, Jr. Law introduced stricter penalties for uninsured motorists and mandated the creation of an online system police can use to check the insurance status of drivers. Drivers who fail to maintain up-to-date coverage can face fines or lose their vehicle’s registration altogether. Despite these sanctions, uninsured drivers are still on the roads.

While you do not have to purchase UM/UIM coverage to manage the risk of injury from someone without proper insurance, it is a good idea to check if your own insurance policy covers this. Even if you do carry UM/UIM coverage, your insurance company might not want to pay your claim. Our experienced uninsured motorist accident lawyers can help you navigate the difficult insurance claims process.

If you have suffered injuries in an accident due to the negligent acts of an uninsured or underinsured motorist, it is important to speak with us as soon as possible. We will protect your rights to seek fair compensation.

Our attorneys are well-versed in insurance policy clauses and statutes. If you have concerns that an insurance company is trying to deceive or take advantage of you, we can protect your rights and ensure you receive fair compensation.

Will My Own UM/UIM Policy Cover My Losses?

Insurance companies do not always have your best interests in mind when they settle car accident claims. Even if you have maintained adequate coverage, they may try to offer you a low settlement after a crash with an uninsured or underinsured driver.

This is why it is essential you speak with an attorney before you agree to a settlement from your insurer. If you agree to a low offer and you face expensive medical costs in the future, you will be stuck paying for them out of your own pocket.  

If your insurance policy does not offer adequate coverage, we can seek compensation from other sources, as well. If a defect in your car or the other driver’s vehicle caused or contributed to your crash, we can hold the product manufacturer liable for their mistake. If a poorly maintained road was to blame for the wreck, we can file a claim with the government agency in charge of road maintenance.

We know how to maximize the compensation you may receive. We are familiar with applicable insurance laws and have a history of representing clients who suffer injuries due to the actions of uninsured and underinsured drivers.

What Type of Compensation Can I Receive?

You could be eligible for compensatory damages to cover a number of accident-related expenses, including:

Emergency transport, medical care, and hospital stays;

Physical therapy bills;

Chiropractic, acupuncture, or other treatment related to pain management;

Long-term care or rehabilitative facility expenses;

Expenses related to making disability modifications to your home or vehicle;


Pain and suffering;

Lost wages, self-employment income, and retirement-related benefits; and

Future expenses or losses the accident may cause.

We will work to provide the evidence we need to prove your damages. We can use your medical records, bills, and receipts to show the cost of your treatment after the crash. We will also use your employment records and pay stubs to show how much income you have missed out on during your recovery.

We may also consult with medical experts and career specialists to provide estimates of your ongoing medical care costs and your future lost income, career perks, and other earning potential.

We will include this information in the personal injury claim we file with your insurer. In our claim, we will request a fair amount of compensation that will pay for your damages and allow you to recover. If your insurance company refuses to pay, we can take your case to court. We will keep fighting for you until you have your settlement check in hand.  

The Attorneys at OEB Law, PLLC, Can Help You After a Car Crash.

You owe it to yourself to have an attorney review your insurance policy, any offers of settlement you may have received, and the consequences of accepting any offers before you sign.

The attorneys at OEB Law, PLLC, are ready to represent your interests after a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist. We know all of the tricks your insurer is likely to use and can defend against them. Our goal is to win you the maximum amount of compensation you deserve for your injuries.

Contact us to learn more about our past case results and to schedule a no-cost, no-obligation consultation to review the facts of your case. Get started now. Call 865-546-1111.