Should My Children Go to the ER After a Minor Car Accident?

You should take your children to the ER after a minor car accident even if they are not visibly wounded or displaying injury symptoms. Alternatively, you can take your children to their pediatrician for a thorough evaluation.

Not only will seeking medical attention for your children give you peace of mind about their health, but it will also produce important documentation should you file an insurance claim. If you and your children suffered injuries in the car accident, the Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC can help you seek compensation. Call us today at 865-546-1111 for help from a car accident lawyer.

How Soon Should I Take My Children to the Pediatrician After the Accident?

Ideally, you should take your children to the pediatrician as soon as possible. Realistically, it may be difficult to get a last-minute appointment. Therefore, going to an ER after an accident may work out better if you cannot take your children directly to their pediatrician.

Although your focus is on your children, you should get examined at the ER, too, or schedule an appointment with your doctor.

What Minor Injury Symptoms Can My Children Develop After a Car Accident?

Children can develop the same type of symptoms as adults. This may include back pain, neck pain, or headaches. However, when children are very young or if they cannot speak clearly, they may not be able to say exactly how they feel.

Monitor your children and tell their pediatrician the signs you notice. Also, let them know the symptoms your older children say they’re experiencing.

How Helpful Are Medical Documents to Insurance Claims?

Medical documents are vital because the records link an injury to the accident. When investigating car accidents, insurance companies want confirmation of a claimant’s injuries before approving a settlement. 

An insurance claims adjuster can deny or minimize a claim that does not have documented proof of an injury.

We can help you secure your children’s medical records to include with your claim. One of our car accident lawyers can talk with you about obtaining medical records for your insurance claim. Call us today at 865-546-1111.

How Can I Prove the Other Driver Caused the Accident?

Your car accident lawyer can collect evidence to build a well-documented insurance claim. Proving fault for an accident requires us to show how the other driver’s negligence caused the accident and you and your children’s resulting damages.

The evidence we collect can include:

  • Your children’s medical records
  • Your medical records (if you were injured)
  • A police report of the accident
  • Eyewitness statements
  • Traffic camera or surveillance video footage of the accident

We include the evidence we collect with your insurance claim. After filing the claim, your car accident lawyer can negotiate a full and fair settlement on your behalf.

Can Children Recover Compensation for Damages Like Adults?

Yes, children who sustain damages in a car accident can recover compensation just like an adult. We can review the facts of your case to arrive at an estimate of the compensation to pursue with your claim.

Among the damages, you and your children can recover compensation for your medical bills. Your medical expenses may include bills from your visit to the ER, your children’s pediatrician, and your doctor.

You can also recover compensation for wages that you lost because you had to stay home to take care of your children after the accident. If they’re old enough to work, your children can also pursue lost wages. 

You and your children may also recover damages for pain and suffering from the accident.

Call the Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC to Help You with Your Car Accident Claim

At the Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC, we dedicate our experience and resources to getting parents and their children the compensation they deserve after a car wreck.

Call us today at 865-546-1111 for a free consultation with one of our car accident lawyers.