What Do I Need to Know to Make an Insurance Claim?

You need to know what kind of information will help you build a solid insurance claim so you can recover compensation for your losses. The information you collect should also help you show that the other driver caused the accident and is liable for your damages.

The Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC can help you gather information for your car accident claim. To learn more about what we can do for you, call us today at 865-546-1111 to schedule a free consultation.

What Type of Information Will I Need to Make a Claim?

Some of the information you’ll need to make a claim includes:

  • The name and contact information of the other driver
  • Their auto insurance company and insurance policy number
  • Their vehicle registration number and license plate number
  • A police report of the accident
  • Your medical records, if you were injured in the car wreck
  • Photos of the accident scene
  • Statements from eyewitnesses and their contact information
  • A complete list of your damages and their estimated costs

What Type of Damages Should I Include with My Insurance Claim?

There are generally two categories of compensatory damages in a car accident case:

Economic Damages

Economic damages are financial losses that you can calculate. This includes out-of-pocket costs for your medical bills and your lost wages.

Non-economic Damages

Non-economic damages are intangible losses such as the pain and suffering and emotional distress you experienced because of the accident.

Non-economic damages are more difficult to estimate because they do not involve exact dollar amounts. However, we can help you make a list of your damages and estimate the value of your claim.

Do I Need to Submit Anything in Writing About the Accident?

Your lawyer may help you prepare a statement about the accident. The statement may include details about the accident and how the car crash affected your life. If you were hurt in the accident, you may want to include a copy of your medical records that show the type of injury you suffered.

We recommend working with a car accident lawyer who can ensure you don’t leave out important details that can help you recover the compensation you deserve from the accident. Call us: 865-546-1111.

Do I Need to Prove Fault for the Car Accident?

Yes, you will need to prove fault for the accident if you file a liability claim with the other driver’s insurance company for compensation. Establishing fault in some car accidents is not difficult. But in other cases, fault may be unclear or the defendant may dispute fault and liability.

In any case, if you were hurt in a car accident, call an attorney for help making an insurance claim and gathering evidence to prove fault. For example, your lawyer can use subject matter experts, like an accident reconstruction specialist, to help prove fault. This type of expert can recreate an accident to determine how the car wreck occurred and determine fault for the crash.

How Long Will It Take for an Insurance Company to Settle My Claim?

Generally, an insurance company does not give a deadline for settling claims. An insurer will investigate a car accident before paying out a claim. And, the investigation can take days, weeks, or even longer when complications arise.

You should know that an insurance company wants to save money. So, even if an insurance company offers to settle a claim quickly, the initial offer may be low and may not cover all of your damages.

We advise you not to accept a settlement that provides very little compensation for your damages. Review all settlement offers with your lawyer.

We Can Handle Negotiations on Your Behalf

The Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC handle all aspects of the claims process, including negotiating settlements. We know the strategies insurers use to minimize claims and find ways to deny claims.

We will negotiate a full and fair settlement on your behalf so that you can recover compensation for your losses. We can even take your case to trial if necessary.

Contact the Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC Today

If you have questions about preparing and filing an insurance claim, call us.  The Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC will thoroughly investigate your car accident, and prepare and file a claim on your behalf.

Call us now at 865-546-1111 for a free evaluation.