Personal Injury Lawyer in Kingsport, TN

A slip and fall on a wet floor in a store, a defective medical device, or a car accident can impact your life and leave you with serious injuries and huge medical bills. Recovering from an injury takes an emotional and financial toll on you because of your inability to work or take care of your family.

If you suffered a personal injury due to the negligence of an individual or a business, contact the Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC, today. We can help you pursue an insurance claim or file a personal injury lawsuit to receive compensation for your injuries and property damage. Call 865-546-1111 to arrange a case review with a personal injury lawyer in Kingsport.

What Does “Personal Injury” Mean?

When you physically injure your body and feel pain, you have suffered a personal injury. A personal injury may occur through no fault of your own. The most common personal injury cases include:

  • Automobile accidents;
  • Construction accidents;
  • Defectively designed medical devices or machinery;
  • Defective or recalled products;
  • Dog bites;
  • Slip and fall accidents; and
  • Wrongful Death.

I Suffered an Injury, What Do I Do Now?

First, you should report your injury to an appropriate authority. This may be the police if you were in a car accident, your supervisor at work if you suffered a workplace injury, or the business owner or manager if you fell down and hurt yourself on the company’s premises.

Next, you should enlist the help of a personal injury attorney. Our legal team can help you file a personal injury claim with the insurance company of the individual or business responsible for your accident. Depending on the severity of your physical injuries and the at-fault party’s degree of fault, we may want to file a personal injury lawsuit to pursue a larger amount of compensation. We suggest that you contact our office to decide the best way for you to recover compensation.

Why Do I Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?

We can offer you legal advice that can help you decide on a course of action. Our attorneys have helped an untold number of individuals who suffered serious, life-changing injuries because of someone else’s reckless behavior. We understand the complexities of personal injury cases and aggressively advocate for the victims. We ensure our clients receive the maximum compensation available in their case and we will do the same for you.  

How Do I Prove Negligence?

Before filing a claim—or even a lawsuit—you must establish that the negligence of the defendant, whether it was an individual or company, caused your injuries and you suffered damages as a result. To do this, we must to prove that the defendant had a duty to act in a careful manner, but they breached that duty and caused your injury. As a result of the defendant’s breach of duty, you incurred losses and are eligible for compensatory damages.

What Type of Documents Do I Need for My Case?

We will advise you on the type of documentation that we can use to prove what occurred in your accident and file an insurance claim or a lawsuit. We would collect documentation such as:  

  • Your medical records stating the extent of your injuries;
  • Lost income, if you are not able to work;
  • Photographs of the accident scene;
  • An individual’s driving history, if you were in a car accident;
  • Eyewitness testimony;
  • Previous accident reports against a company; and
  • History of workplace violations, if your injury occurred while you were on the job.

How Much Compensation Can I Recover?

The amount of monetary compensation you may recover depends on the nature of your injuries and the extent of your property damages. You may also seek compensation for pain and suffering, emotional distress, and other intangible damages. However, Tennessee law caps non-economic damages for personal injury cases at $750,000. These damages extend to $1 million if you or loved one suffered:

  • Spinal cord injuryresulting in paraplegia or quadriplegia;
  • Amputation of both hands, both feet, or one of each;
  • Third-degree burns over 40 percent or more of your body or face; or
  • Wrongful death of a parent leaving a surviving minor child or children.

After your free case evaluation, our attorneys will calculate the full value of your damages. Then we will file a claim with the at-fault party’s insurer and negotiate until we win you a fair settlement.

The Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC, Negotiates Claims on Your Behalf.

Having us on your side works to your advantage. We take the legal burden off of you so you can focus on your recovery. We negotiate your insurance claim with the defendant’s insurance company. Our experienced personal injury lawyers know the type of tricks insurance carriers play by offering low settlements that will not cover your current or future expenses. We continue negotiations until we have reached a fair settlement that provides the maximum compensation for your injuries and damages. If we cannot reach a satisfactory settlement, you may consider filing a lawsuit against the defendant. If you choose this route, we can represent you in court.

It is important to act quickly, however. Tennessee gives you one year from the time of your accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. Even if you do not want to take your case before a judge or jury, we need to preserve your ability to sue. Sometimes the threat of a lawsuit is the motivation we need to get the at-fault party’s insurance company to agree to a fair settlement.

We recommend you contact us as soon as possible so our expert legal team can investigate your injury claim.

Let Us Help You Get the Compensation You Deserve.

If you suffered a personal injury, do not hesitate to call the Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC, today. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay us nothing unless we achieve a favorable outcome for your claim. Call our office at 865-546-1111 to arrange for a free legal consultation with one of our personal injury attorneys.