How To Get Over A Car Accident That Was Not Your Fault

It takes time to get over a car accident. In fact, it can be difficult to try and “get over it” in one day and move forward. You may want to seek professional help if you’re struggling to get over a car accident that was not your fault.

Because the accident was not your fault, you can pursue compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company for your mental and emotional pain and suffering. The Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC can help you recover compensation for these non-economic damages. Call us today at 865-546-1111 for a free consultation.

What Steps Should I Take to Get Over My Accident?

You may want to first talk about your accident to people who support you, like your family members and close friends. Talking helps you to process your feelings and release your emotional pain about the accident. And, this allows you to get the encouragement and emotional support you need.

What Should I Do If I Have Difficulty Getting Over The Accident?

If you’re constantly reliving the crash, having a hard time following your daily routine, or experiencing trouble sleeping, you may want to visit your doctor or a mental health professional.

When you call our office, you can speak with one of our car accident lawyers about the difficulties you’re having getting over the accident. You can also discuss the details of your car accident and our lawyer can determine the best way our law firm can help you.

Finally, we can help you get reimbursed for the health care expenses you incurred after the accident. Call us at 865-546-1111 to speak to one of our car accident lawyers.

Car Accident Victims Can Develop Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Studies show that individuals involved in serious motor vehicle accidents involving injuries or death can develop Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). According to a December 2007 article in the journal, Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, individuals who developed the anxiety disorder after a traumatic car crash can suffer from a number of issues including:

  • Emotional numbness
  • Detachment from others
  • A reluctance or refusal to drive
  • Intrusive thoughts and disturbing dreams

One study claimed that supportive psychotherapy and social interaction help to reduce PTSD among car accident survivors.

Can Accident Victims Get Compensation for Pain and Suffering?

Yes. Pain and suffering are non-economic damages that accident victims can recover. Other recoverable non-financial damages include:

  • Emotional distress
  • Mental anguish
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of companionship
  • Disfigurement

If you’ve had to pay for your car repairs or lost income from being off from work after the accident, you may also be entitled to recover a number of economic damages.

We can discuss the different type of damages you suffered in detail during a free consultation. Call us today; a member of our team can assess the non-economic and economic damages you suffered from the accident: 865-546-1111.

How Do I Pursue Compensation for Economic Damages?

You can file a claim with the other driver’s auto insurance company and present the financial losses you had after the car wreck.

Tennessee is a fault insurance state which means that the driver who causes an accident must pay for damages from the accident. The at-fault driver’s auto insurer usually pays for the damages.

The Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC can help you collect evidence to show how the other driver caused the crash. We can file an injury claim on your behalf and use the evidence we collect to help you get compensated for your losses.

What Type of Evidence Do I Need for My Claim?

Our law firm can help you build a solid claim by obtaining such evidence as:

  • A police report
  • Eyewitness statements
  • Video footage of the accident
  • Your medical records

We may also include:

  • A written statement of the difficulty you’re having getting over the car accident.
  • A written statement from your doctor and mental health professional about the treatment you’re receiving because of the accident.
  • The type of prescription medication you’re taking as part of your treatment.

Our firm has resources to secure evidence that will strengthen your claim. We handle your claim from start to finish — from filing the claim to negotiating a full and fair settlement on your behalf. 

We’ll protect your rights throughout the claims process so that you can get the compensation that you deserve.

Contact The Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC Today

As our client, we will thoroughly investigate your car accident and communicate with insurance companies and other parties on your behalf.

Call us now at 865-546-1111 for a free case evaluation.