Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer in Farragut

If you suffered serious injuries in a Tennessee vehicle crash that occurred due to someone else’s carelessness, you may expect to get reimbursement from the driver’s auto insurance company. However, if the at-fault driver did not have auto insurance or fled the scene of the crash, who will pay for your hospital costs, doctor visits, and other bills?

Do not lose hope. You may still be eligible to recover compensation for your injuries and other damages from your accident. The attorneys from the Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC, can help you file a claim to get the compensation you need, even if the other driver did not have auto insurance. Call us now at 865-546-1111 to schedule a free consultation with an uninsured motorist accident lawyer in Farragut. We can discuss the legal options available to get the compensation you deserve.

How Can I Get Compensation From an Uninsured Motorist?

If an uninsured motorist caused your crash, you can file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver who caused the accident. If the driver did not pay for auto insurance, however, do not expect that individual to pay you—even if a court enters a judgment against that person. You have a better chance of getting reimbursed from your own insurance company if you have Uninsured Motorist (UM) coverage.

What Is UM Coverage?

UM coverage protects you when an uninsured driver causes an accident resulting in injuries and property damage. A UM policy also covers you if you are a passenger in someone else’s vehicle, a pedestrian, in a hit-and-run accident, or if you were riding a bicycle. This policy also extends coverage to family members who live with you and were riding in or driving the car at the time of your accident.

Under state law, auto insurers must offer UM coverage with every auto policy, but motorists can reject this coverage in writing. We recommend motorists purchase this coverage so they can file a claim with their own insurance companies if an uninsured driver or a hit-and-run driver causes an accident.

If you are unsure whether or not you have UM coverage, contact our attorneys today. We will look closely at your auto insurance policy to determine if you have adequate coverage to pay for your damages.

What Will UM Coverage Pay For?

UM coverage pays for your medical bills, lost wages, any permanent disabilities, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and other damages. When we take on your case, we can discuss the circumstances of your accident to determine what other expenses you may have that your UM policy will cover.

How Can I Get Help Filing an Insurance Claim?

Our law firm has extensive experience in handling all aspects of insurance claims. We can handle your case as well. We will conduct a thorough investigation to build a valid claim on your behalf. Then, we will submit the necessary documentation to the insurance company and negotiate a fair settlement for your losses. We understand the complexities involved in these cases, particularly when the crash involved an uninsured driver. Uninsured drivers often refuse to exchange contact information or lie about their identity to avoid getting caught by police after a wreck.

If this happens in your case, expect an insurance adjuster to question you about whether you attempted to get information from the at-fault driver. We will speak to your insurance company on your behalf about the uninsured driver’s refusal to cooperate with you and offer notice that you intend to file a claim to recover compensation for your damages.

When we file your claim, we will begin negotiations with the goal of getting you the maximum compensation possible for your injuries. We expect insurance adjusters to question every part of your claim to find a reason not to pay it or offer a low settlement that will not meet your present or future needs. The best way to defend against an adjuster’s contentions is to build a solid claim.

That is why we work hard to gather compelling evidence to support your claim.

What Type of Evidence Does a Lawyer Collect?

We collect the police report of your crash. This document may indicate the actions of the uninsured driver, such as fleeing the scene or failing to exchange insurance information with you. The police report might also contain your statement and eyewitness statements about the accident. We may also obtain photos of the accident scene and traffic camera video footage, if available.

We use this information to show how the at-fault driver’s negligence played a role in causing the crash that led to your injuries. To prevail in any personal injury claim, Tennessee requires claimants to prove four elements of negligence. We must show:

  • The driver had a duty to drive with reasonable care;
  • The driver breached that duty;
  • The driver’s negligence caused an accident; and
  • You suffered damages because of the crash.

We may also use your medical records to show the extent of your injuries. We can use receipts or repair estimates to show how much it will cost to repair or replace your car.

What Are the Penalties for Violating Tennessee Insurance Laws?

We can further strengthen your claim by showing that the uninsured driver violated Tennessee’s Financial Responsibility Law. This law requires all drivers and vehicle owners to have the following minimum limits of liability car insurance:

  • $25,000 in coverage for each injury or death in a single accident;
  • $50,000 to cover all injuries or deaths per crash; and
  • $15,000 to pay for property damage for one accident.

If convicted of failing to purchase car insurance, drivers face a misdemeanor fine of up to $300, the possibility of having their vehicle towed, and suspension of their driver’s license.

For Help With Your UM Claim, Contact the Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC, Today.

You can rely on the Law Offices of Ogle, Elrod & Baril, PLLC, to help you get the compensation you deserve after a car accident. Call our office today at 865-546-1111 to schedule a free consultation with an uninsured motorist accident lawyer in Farragut. We will protect your rights and fight for fair compensation for your injuries and other damages.